Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Episodic Glaucoma - Mishapen Pupil

Question:

Posted by Mike
I have just had an acute episode glaucoma , which may gradually resolve itself. I am now being treated for this with intraocular pressurePressure ulcer reducers.
I have noticed that my pupil is now mishapen and is no longer round, and is larger than my other pupil. My visualVisual acuity test acuity in the affected eye is now worse than it was.
What could have caused this and will it naturally resolve itself?
If not is there some procedure to correct this?

Answer:

Posted by HFHS MD
The most common type of acute angle closure glaucoma. I am not sure if this is what you had but I will assume so. In this condition, the eye pressure suddenly becomes very high. This can cause eye pain, headaches, red eyes and reduced vision. The pupil also does not function properly. Different people have different degrees of symptoms.
Depending upon the extent of pressure elevaton and its duration, there can be permanent damage to the eye. I cannot comment in your particular case. If this is angle closure, you may need a laser treatment to help prevent a future attack and also one in the fellow eye to prevent an attack in that eye.
You should discuss your case with your ophthalmologist and have him explain your condition in a detailed manner to your satisfaction.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.