Thursday, November 19, 2009

Comparison of laser vs non-laser glaucoma treatment?

Question:

I am having unstable IOP. In addition,the preservative BAK in my eye
drops appear to be giving me trouble. I finally decided that
surgery,trabeculectomy is the way to go. My left eye suffers severe
reduction of central vision because of a central retinal vein occlusion.
The trabeculectomy is to be done on my "good" rightey to preserve its
central vision. Needless to say, this makes me nervous.

I was surprised to find out that the surgery is planned to be true
cutting rather than laser based. I was under the impression--perhaps
incorrectly--that laser treatment avoided much of the risk associated
with actual cutting. Where can I get a good comparison of the pros and
cons of laser surgery as opposed to scalpel surgery? I want to be armed
with knowledge when I ask more questions.

===============

Answer:
I have a non-surgery bias. Just how unstable is the IOP? And could
other eye drops not using BAK be tried? I am a Xalatan user and "side
effects" don't seem to be a problem. Uses BAK as I understand. What
effects are you having?