Thursday, October 8, 2009

Miosis

Question

I am a 69 year old Glaucoma patient. I have had
PI's in both eyes. When first diagnosed in 1994 I was put on Pilocarpine. Since 1996 I have been on Trusopt and Timoptic XE. My pupils are fixed and do not dilate and so do not dark adapt making my night vision minimal. I have been told that this miosis is a residual of the Pilocarpine and will go away eventually. lt's been two years that I have been off the Pilo and the condition has not improved. I suspect that my pupils are permanently fixed. Is there any treatment for such a condition?


Answer

I first wanted to mention that there is a new drug out which is a combination of Trusopt and Timoptic called Cosopt. You may want to speak with your ophthalmologist to see if you are a candidate.
I think that the chances of your pupils changing after being miotic for several years is unlikely. One option would be to try using phenylephrine drops at night if this is when you have most of your problems. This is a dilating drop and it may allow more light to enter your eye. This is a drop we use commonly to dilate eyes for routine examinations. Speak to your doctor.
Good luck. This information was provided for medical educational purposes only.
Sincerely,