Thursday, October 8, 2009

Will high IOPs cause glaucoma

Question:

I am a 45 yr-old woman who has been given the label of glaucoma suspect due to IOPs that range from 26 to 31 mmHg over the last 3 years. My Dr. has not suggested treatment to lower them yet, but I still question whether it is going to be safe to continue with regular vision having these IOPs over the next 20 plus years. What are the chances of developing glaucoma in the future. I am ok with not treating now, since there is no cupping of the optic nerve and no change in visual field tests, but I feel like my Dr. is afraid to say what may come in the future.


Answer


No doctor can predict your exact chance of developing glaucoma although your risk will be based upon whether you have a family history and may be influenced by the thickness of your cornea. I would recommend that you find out the results of your testing, visual field, optic nerve imaging, corneal thickness and continue to ask this question.