Thursday, December 3, 2009

N-Acetyl-Carnosine Eye Drops and Cataract Surgery?

Question:
Has anyone had experience with N-Acetyl-Carnosine eye drops? Can it be as an alternative to cataract surgery

Answer:

I had never heard of NAC before.

Since its effectiveness is still unknown, your decision about whether or not to use it should probably be based on safety .

Until there is more evidence that it is safe , I wouldn't use it.

If it were known to be safe , I might try it even if the medical community were still split on its effectiveness. Based on what I have read about it, I think the terms "waste of money" and "scam" are unhelpful.

We have no idea at this point whether or not it is a waste of money, because we really don't know yet whether or not it works.

I would not consider it a scam if the people selling it have legitimate reason to believe that it works (which they do, based on limited scientific studies). If it is actually unsafe (which is quite possible), it is far worse than a waste of money or a scam, so those terms would be misleading. Just my humble opinion.