Sunday, February 28, 2010

Base Curve Change

Question
I have been an Acuvue (soft) lens wearer for years. I have been with Acuvue 2 lenses for quite a while too (years). I have had a base curve perscription of 8.7 for at least 7 years. This most recent visit my doctor upped my perscription strength by 0.25, but the base curve was also switched to 8.3. I was wondering what the general advantages were to switching. I had not had any issues with my 8.7, nor did I complain about anything. I have been in the 8.3 for 3 days now, and the contacts seem to dry out my eyes now. Maybe its just me being paranoid, but is this something that could happen?



Thank you for any insight you can give.



Sara


Answer
Hi Sara,

Let your doctor know about the base curve change and the new symptom. Usually he would explain what was wrong with the first and check the fit of the second before finalizing an Rx.  It could have been a mistake or it could be an unexpected negative outcome when he thought it would be better.  It is probably fine to go back to the 8.7 if your doctor agrees with you.  It's no big deal.

Mitch Axelrod,OD