Sunday, February 28, 2010

Constant tearing in right eye & LASIK Sx

Question
For the past few years, I have had constant tearing in the right eye.  The condition appears and lasts for weeks/months; then may dissipate only to re-appear down the road.  I was given a Dx of "dry eye" in FL before relocating to NC and told to use artificial drops.  The problem persists even with the drops.  It is worse now.  



I do experience mild allergy symptoms every now and then - only it's not pinpointed.  Additionally, I haven't worn my glasses in a while and don't know if that is exacerbating it.  I would like to resolve this once and for all - it's difficult to work, read, drive, wear makeup etc... when you are constantly dabbing at your right eye.  



One thing I noticed is that when the right eye is excessive - the left is dry.  Another issue is floaters.  When the tearing persists for more than a week, I get a feeling underneath my right eyelid of "accumulation".  When I peel the lid back, sure enough - there is cream colored gook there.  This doesn't happen all the time - mostly if I have been up all night or on the computer for more than 12 hours (between home and work).



Another MD stated that the dry eye is a work-induced symptom - too much exposure to the pc, followed by the tv or reading.  I know that my vision would probably be dramatically improved via LASIK sx - but would this other condition (right eye tearing) resolve itself too?  My vision is my source of income as I work in administration on a pc all day and I also am a web developer on the side...  


Answer
Although you seem to be experiencing an array of symptoms, it sounds as if your primary problem is recurrent and relatively constant tearing of the right eye (epiphora).



Tearing of the right eye would almost never be caused by ?dry eye?? which would, of course, make the eye dry, not excessively wet. In very rare cases of dry eye, there can be periods of excessive intermittent reflex tearing of the eye as a response to the underlying dryness, but the eye is typically dry most of the time. It does not sound like you have a dry eye.



Glasses have no effect on this problem, and floaters are unrelated as well. I would not consider LASIK unless the problem of constant tearing was corrected.



The nasolacrimal duct inside your nasal sinus may be partially (intermittently) or completely (constantly) occluded, which is particularly more likely if you have had previous sinus allergies, nasal surgery, or nasal injury.



The next step would be to have a relatively simple in office procedure to irrigate the canalicular system and the nasolacrimal duct of the right eye to determine if there is a blockage in the tear drain system, the function of which is to allow tears to escape from your eye and to drain into the back of your nose? (This is why we sniffle when we cry).



Sometimes just a simple irrigation will free the obstruction and allow tears to escape the eye normally, stopping the constant tearing.  Sometimes surgery is required to free the blockage (dacryocystorhinostomy.)



Additional information can be obtained on the anatomy, physiology, and treatment by doing a web search on epiphora and nasolacrimal duct obstruction. Ophthalmologists with expertise in this problem have additional training in Oculoplastic Surgery.