Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Living with Glaucona

I like most people knew the name but was not aware what glaucoma really meant. I actually felt that I probably just needed new glasses when I went to the optician. I was given a letter to take to my doctor's and then attended the hospital where glaucoma was diagnosed. I then realised that my right eye had limited vision. This does not affect me most of the time as I have learnt to compensate. You realise that carrying long items you may knock them into a wall and that working on steps or ladders requires more skill. I was diagnosed with excess pressure which had caused some damage to my right eye. This was brought down with eye drops put in at night. Two years on I find that my eyelashes now need regular trimming and are sticky in the morning. At times I am consious of feeling the right eyeball though not all the time. When I get colds they now seem to often affect my sinuses and my right eye becomes tender and reading becomes difficult but does not affect my distance vision. Some days my eyesight seems better than others. I am still able to drive though limit my night driving. Ease of reading at night depends on the lighting. I now tend to hold books away to the light rather than towards me. My eyedrops are Travoprost which have been very good at lowering the pressure in my eyes. I put the drops in both eyes and my left eye - apart from becoming a bit sticky is as good as before I had any eye problems. I have found the IGA booklets very helpful and would be pleased to hear of others who have taken Travoprost for periods longer than I have.