Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fibromyalgia and glaucoma

Question

Have you heard of any link between Fibromyalgia and glaucoma or vision problems. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for the past 10 years. But two three years ago I was diagnosed with Glaucoma. I was on up to seven drops then my doctor suggested that I have surgery. Since then I've had four surgeries to lower my pressure. (two laser, two trab) and now I'm back on drops again.

I am 41, not diabetic, no family history of glaucoma or any other health problem.

Answer


We now know that Fibromyalgia is a disorder of central pain processing. A combination of exercise therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, medications and patient education offer the best chances for a successful outcome: restoration of lost function.

No, I am unaware of a direct connection between glaucoma and fibromyalgia, however, an indirect connection may exist. Chronic steroid therapy will cause glaucoma in approximately ten percent of otherwise healthy individuals. Discontinuation of the steroids often restores the intraocular pressure back to normal.