Monday, February 22, 2010

Eye Pressure and drops

Question:

My eye pressure has been 22-23 for a long time. My optometrist says it is "high-normal", but hasn't prescribed any treatment. My brother-in-law had pressure in the same range, and his optometrist prescribed drops, which lowered his pressure to 16-18 range. Should my optometrist have prescribed drops for me? I have no other risk factors for glaucoma

Answer:

It is true that normal is between 10-21 mmHg but the distribution is skewed towards the higher end -- meaning there is a fair amount of people with IOP in the mid-20s and not have glaucomaglaucoma. Other factors to consider with regards to treatment is family history, optic nerve appearance, age, visual field defects, and central corneal thickness.

So pressure of 22-23 mmHg in isolation does not necessarily need treatment. You should see an ophthalmologist for evaluation for a second opinion.