Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Eye Pressure Test

Question

Anyone ever have this done? If so.. what is it like?

Answer:

I have glaucoma, so I've got to go in and have my pressure checked every 3 months.

Absolutely painless, so don't worry. There are different ways to do it. Some places blow a puff of air at your eye (this is kind of old-fashioned), others gently place the tip of a special instrument against your eye. Both kinds of tests are done in a couple of seconds.

the second kind of test does require a numbing drop. It's yellow and stings a bit. It is so effective though, that I never realized until recently that an instrument even touched my eye. I just thought the doc was looking through the apparatus at my eyes. I never could figure out how a drop in the eye and an observation could determine eye pressure.

they stopped putting the yellow stip in my eyes some time ago...they'd do the numbing drop then the yellow 'dye'....never did figure out what that was for....but they don't do it anymore with me so I figure it's not that important!