Monday, February 22, 2010

Eye Drops vs Surgery=????

Question:
My 86 year old mother has been diagnosed with glaucomaglaucoma and cataracts. Doc wants her to have surgery for glaucoma but Mom insists eye drop therapy should be sufficient.

She is adamant about no surgery as she could never afford the copay. She is on Medicare and only has Social Security as income.

I've researched my eyeballs out and the info is so confusing. Many say the eye drops are sufficient and surgery doesn't cure glaucoma, it just puts off the inevitable result of blindness which could take years to happen. Mom insists she won't be around much longer so she'll never go blind anyway.

I'm just asking for opinions on this matter so that I have more feedback for Mom.

Thank you for any replies.

Answer:

I have read up on that surgery too and it sounds like sometimes it causes more problems than it solves. I would go with the drops and not worry about it. When I had my cataracts removed, they told me that could help with the glaucomaglaucoma and it has.