Sunday, February 28, 2010

getting headaches

Question
Hi,

I am 20 years old and I last went for an eye exam about a year ago, i didn't think i had anything wrong with my eyes, but i had never had them tested so thought it was a good idea and i was +0.25 in both eyes.



Recently however i have been getting a few headaches when doing my university work. So out of curiosity i tried on my Mum's reading glasses today and found i could see really clearly through them and could relax my eyes a lot more in them.

However, i can see everything without glasses. near and far away, even very small print. So i was just a bit confused, could i need glasses just to help the headaches or am i ok?



Thanks


Answer
Hi Eleanor,

You can use mild reading glasses to take some of the load off your own built in focusing mechanism.  It isn't a bad idea if you do a lot of near work since you know they help by using your mother's.  Keeping your eyes constantly focusing can be bothersome to some.  If you can find some weak over the counter glasses like +1 or so, they may be nice.  

Best of luck,

Mitch Axelrod, OD