Monday, February 22, 2010

some questions you should pose to the ophthalmologist

Question:

I have glaucoma and no the ophthalmologist is not starting me on any drops at this time,My optic nerve is enlarged in left eye and my field of vision is messed up in same eye,I go back in 6 months for another check up ,Mean while I have pressure behind my eyes so my numbers to come down more and fast,so that was it I saw pics my eye ball looks like planets with spots and craters, in them,blodd vessels look large,I am getting a report and pics in the mail

Answer:

I am somewhat surprised that the ophthalmologist couldn't give you a better explanation of the results immediately after the exam. When I see my ophthalmologist each quarter, she tells me what my eye pressures are, whether she found any evidence of diabetes-related eye disease, the status of my glaucoma, and how the cataract in my right eye is progressing.

That aside, here are some questions you should pose to the ophthalmologist after you receive the report:

1. What were my intraocular eye pressures? The normal range for eye pressures is 10 - 21 mm Hg.

2. Did you find any evidence of diabetic eye disease?

3. Do I have glaucoma? If so, is it open angle glaucoma or closed angle glaucoma?


I hope all comes out well and you get your results soon.