Sunday, February 28, 2010

Contact Prescription

Question
Hi,  I recently got a new contact prescription I went from a 2.50 to 3.00. I have been getting headaches when I put on my contacts.  I am not sure if the prescription is too strong or if it is because I sometimes wear my glasses (2.50 prescription) before putting on my contacts or both...  I'm thinking about finding a new Dr. to get a 2nd opinion. Can you help me?  Thank you.


Answer
Sure, it could be because the new contact lenses are too strong, but it could be a host of other things as well - but not too likely caused by wearing your glasses first in the day.  Are the contact lenses the same brand and same base curve as your old ones?  A different fit could contribute to the problem as well as the power.  



Most eye doctors though are glad to see you back for a follow up visit if you are having a problem with their prescription (and usually at no additional charge) Often the problems that show up like that tend to be no one's fault in particular - but rather some mismatch between the way you answered all those "one or two" questions and the way the doctor interpreted them.  Once the doctor knows that is a possibility with you, she can recheck your refraction with that in mind.  



Rather than pay for a new eye exam, I would go back and see the same doctor.  Explain the problem and most likely she will be able to fix it.  If you purchased the contact lenses from the doctor, she will most likely take them back on exchange if they need to be changed.