Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cataract,Glaucoma and Double vision

I am scared! Born with a cataract in right eye. At age 2 surgery caused pupil to close and ended up with glaucoma. Then the eye was removed at age 8. Began having problems with my one and only eye. I have trouble with seeing far, like when you need to see the name of the street or television or watching my children play sports. And near, things are blurry. Then there is a small cataract. Then there is something like a floater that blocks part of my central vision which is most noticable when reading, yet with large objects it is more like a big blurred spot. So, I got glasses for far and near which help with the blurr for far and near, but I see bright objects as double and the glasses do not help for that, nor do they help get rid of the problem with the central vision being blocked/blurred. Always counted on an extra special sense of feeling objects around me. Never did play sports because I always got hit. I do not have depth perception, but always had this strange sensation that allowed me to feel how near/far or the size of an object. That sensation seems to have disappeared and now am having a heck of a time driving. I have rear-ended other vehicles thinking they were moving. I cannot park well at all so I park way out away from others. It takes up a good part of my time trying to plan my driving routes and where to park. I am so scared to drive that I have panic attacks. I have fallen off ladders, down steps, off curbs, and tripped over toys, cracks in the sidewalk, etc... I am thoroughly embarrassed. Now I stay home as much as I can get away with, but I want to work. My doctor isn't really interested in what's happening, and another says I will just have to deal with it as is. At home I am expected to get a job. But no one wants to hire someone with limitations. I am not blind enough for other types of help like disablility.

I hear that laser surgery works great, but I am told that no one will want to help me. What do I do? And I am told that the problem with my central vision being blocked/blurred is due to a floater, but it is always in the same place and when relaxed enough I can see the thing. Isn't there something that can be done? I have been in 2 car accidents and was assaulted with a kick to the head. Got no significant medical help from these situations. Could I have nerve damage? Could that be why the doctor looks at me like I am an alien?