Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Eye drops

I have been taking pilogel and xalatan for 30 odd years - pressures now 17 and 20 - but have damage to optic nerve - my super nhs consultant has left - hospital notes visual fields etc. always missing.
Anyway somneone I'd never met before - with no notes - at hospital put me on Iodipine - have never been ab,e to take any other drops - asthmatic etc., these are SUPPosed to be Ok re asthma
Since I started taking them I have become extrenely depressed my asthmas has worsened - now using inhaler several times a day - cant enjoy my ewalks anymore (exercise essential for pressures!!!) My heart rate changed and I feel ill all the time - and do you know what
I'm am NEVER going to take them again.
I am 71 and have decided today to try to live a healthier life style - I dont look bad - m,ore like 61 - I still teach literature at local librabry - but I couldn;t continue on this regime - I'd have to give up my life as I know it and become an invalid.
Surely if the research and medication was any good something better would have been found by now without all these lifestyle destroying eye drops.
So glad I found this forum today - I've been crying with frustration - to my GP I'm some who suffers with asthma and hypertension (not bad under control) to the hospital I'm someone with glaucoma - who has (no other illness!!!) one or the other of them is going to kill me if I dont take control.
Today - no more iodipine.
Doctors out there - we are not just a pair of eyes you know - we want a reasonable life as well. Think of your patients holistically for once and consider the damage you are doing to us.