Sunday, February 28, 2010

contact lens for low astigmatism

Question
Hi



I'm a 28 year old female, living in the UK. I have glasses with an Rx of: Right Eye +1.0/-0.5x65 and Left Eye: +0.75/-/0.25x70 and am finding more recently that I need them more and more and am almost wearing them full time for comfort else I get severe eye fatigue, particularly in the right eye. Do you think this is related to my age and less ability to accommodate? Some of the work I do also means being outside in all weather conditions reading small tags of identification numbers on animals and filling out forms etc. I often find that glasses are a problem because they get wet/steamed up etc, but it is hard work doing this without correction. I mentioned this to my eye doctor last year and they were relunctant to allow me to try contact lenses even though my eyes were not dry. Do you see a reason why, with my Rx, that I should not be able to wear contacts? I realise that 0.5 cyl might be the tricky part to correct? I really want to try contacts if I can.



Thank you  


Answer
Hi Rachel,

That mild cylinder can be ignored and you can try mild contact lenses.  Usually we don't think it makes sense to wear full time contact lenses if you only wear the glasses for near. But if you can see distance fine using the glasses then contacts can do the same thing.  However, if the glasses blur the distance, as true reading glasses would, then you would be blurred with the contacts.  If the distance is clear with the glasses, then you are farsighted and could be sensitive to the extra accommodation when not using glasses.

Best of luck,

Mitch Axelrod, OD