Sunday, February 28, 2010

worsening vision

Question
I am 28 years old and have worn glasses or contacts for about 20 years.  My vision has grown progressively worse, and now I am a

-8.  I am scared that I could become legally blind.  What do I do?

What could be wrong?  Should I see an ophthalmologist?


Answer
Hi Jessie,

It is normal to have progressive myopia like you do as you probably have nearsighted people in your family.  You will stabilize soon enough.  You should look up legal blindness as it applies to a person whose better eye with best glasses still can see better than 20/200.  It is usually due to disease and is not from being nearsighted.  So don't be scared.  After  you stabilize you can consider Lasik or some other form of refractive surgery.  Meanwhile, as anyone should do, see an eye doctor immediately if you have any sudden changes in your vision like flashes of light or new/more floaters.

Regards,

Mitchell Axelrod, OD