Thursday, March 4, 2010

C3R for mild keratoconus?

Question
Hello,



I'm 29 years old and was diagnosed with relatively mild keratoconus 10 years ago. I was unable to wear contact lenses due to extreme sensitivity, but fortunately my condition has not progressed. You seem to be very high on C3-R, and I've heard good things about it from others. I'm wondering if the treatment is recommended for milder case of keratoconus, and if it is likely to improve my vision without additional treatments such as INTACS.



Thank you,



Alex F.


Answer
Dear Alex,



Yes, we do advocate C3R. For me it is pointless to wait on a conditon which is known to progress.

Keratoconus cannot be reversed, hence it would be more beneficial to do C3R in early stages when the vision is not that affected so that it stays that way, or even improves (we have over 70% of patients showing an improvement in visual acuity).



However, some doctors believe in waiting till there are changes in the Topography maps.



Please read more about this procedure, patients experiences on www.lasikindia.in



Hope this helps,

Best,

Dr Anand Shroff, MS (OPHTH), FICS

www.shroffeye.org