Thursday, March 4, 2010

Elevated Optic Discs

Question
I'm an 24 year old female.

I visited my Ophthalmologist today...everything seemed normal at first and then he seemed to be concerned and started to ask if I had headaches often or blurry vision.

He said my optic discs were elevated in both eyes.

Then he told me not to worry because he could see venous pulsations.

...That this might just be my regular physiology.



Is it possible to have something wrong and still have venous pulsation?



I still need to do a visual field in 2 days, he says.



I haven't noticed regular intense headaches, but I do seem to regularly experience a dull ache which is more of an annoyance than anything else.

I've been getting floaters in my left eye more often.

I have experienced a lot of nausea in the past 6 months...and I've lost about 30 lbs in that time. (20 of it from April to May)



I'm still just concerned.


Answer
The issue with the elevated discs is that there is concern you could have something behind your eyes (like a tumor) pressing the discs outward and causing pressure.  IF there are venous pulsations, that is reassuring that there is not pressure from behind.  Venous pulsations are often used to differentiate elevated looking discs that are dangerous from the ones that are not dangerous.  A visual field is always a good idea in a case like this.  

If it were just for the discs, with the presence of the venous pulse, I would not be too concerned.  



BUT when you say you have been nauseous, have headaches and have lost weight without trying, that IS cause for concern.  I hope the ophthalmologist asked you about these symptoms.  If not be sure to tell him.   If the field turns out normal, and the ophthalmologist doesn't recommend any further testing, it sounds like you still would benefit from a visit to your primary physician because of all the other symptoms!