Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Converting Toric to nontoric

Question
Hi Dr. Axelrod,



I am 22 years old, and I have astigmatism, but would like to order non toric because they are cheaper and there is more of a selection. I know that I can wear regular lenses just fine, because when I first started wearing contacts my Dr. gave me non toric when I lost the first trial pair, and they worked great (in fact I think I liked them better).



My right eye is: BC: 8.8, DIA: 14.4, PWR: -0.75/-1.25x170



My left eye is: BC: 8.8, DIA: 14.4, PWR: -1.25/-1.25x10



Thanks very much!




Answer
Hi Sara,

It's one thing to mathematically answer your question as far as power goes, but other factors come into play. Those are: lens brand, model, size, curve, and of course the law.  You legally need a prescription to buy contacts.  You need to discuss your switch from toric to non-toric with your doctor. Certainly discuss price of potential lenses to see if there is a cheap enough one as ignoring your astigmatism will leave you pretty blurry.

Mitch Axelrod, OD