Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Estropia vs Amblyopia

Question
I went to two pediatric ophthalmologists.  She was referred by pediatrician after my husband stated to the pediatrician my five yr old daughter was cross-eyed and he could see this in her pictures which I couldn't see.  Looking at her you do not see cross-eyed behavior like some kids.  If I hold an object close to her and have her focus on it with one eye, the other eye will go inward.  Pediatrician stated it may be estropia.  1st dr stated her vision was 20/20, farsighted, and cross-eyed.  He stated this was a good catch that someone noticed this.  He prescribed glasses +2.25 in both lens and followup in 4 mths.  2nd dr stated amblyopia in left eye and 20/20 in right and 20/30 in left.  He stated that her eyes were working together and she didn't need glasses and her crossing eyes was minimal and he prescribed Atropine 1% eye gtts in right eye Saturday and Sunday for 3 mths and follow-up in 4 mths.  I am confused and not sure which dr to follow.  I want the best treatment for my child's vision.  Which dr's regimen do I follow?


Answer
Dear Tee,



It is possible that you may be having accomodative esotropia. This needs to be thoroughly evaluated and then take a call.



There's no right or wrong... everyone has a different strategy for management.



Also, see where you are more comfortable.



If in doubt, you may seek another opinion from a third pediatric ophthalmologist and

discuss with him/her about what needs to be done.



Best,

Dr Shroff

www.shroffeye.org