Thursday, March 4, 2010

Eyes focus differently

Question
This week I got my first pair of glasses at the age of 25. I had noticed things far away or across the room would get hard to see, especially after reading or computer use. Since I'm a graduate student, that's pretty much all the time.



I got the glasses this week. As far as I can tell, the left eye is now perfect -- feels like back to the 20-15 vision I used to have. But the right eye, while improved, is noticeably blurrier beginning at about 3 meters away. (I don't wear the glasses while reading or using the computer.)



Assuming the lenses properly follow my prescription, should I be looking to get a different prescription? This may be causing some strain, but I may also be generating discomfort because I'm preoccupied by this.



The main question is, is this something that can be avoided, or am I stuck with one eye being noticeably better than the other? Is this simply a case of the wrong prescription? I felt the eye exam was a bit rushed, but since it was my first one, I had no point of reference.



Rx is

OD -0.25 sph OS -0.50-0.50X45



Thanks!


Answer
Hi Graham,



The only way you will know if the prescription is correct is by knowing how much of the visual acuity chart you can read independently with each eye.



This should be 20/20 in each eye with the prescription.

If seeing less in one, then you know that it could be better with another prescription.



Only an optometruist can help you with this.



Best,

Dr Shroff

www.shroffeye.org