Saturday, March 6, 2010

Change in vision in one eye with pain

Question
QUESTION: Hello,



I am an otherwise healthy 26 year old female.  Last week I had several "rough" days where I got very little sleep.  On the second day I noticed a slight change in vision in my right eye but attributed it to lack of sleep.  The next day, the problem was worse.  It is hard to describe, sort of like a blurring, but more like there is too much light in my visual field (like if you are outside in the snow all day).  The eye also has pain when I move it to the extremes of the eye orbit (way up, way left, or way right).  My eye doctor diagnosed it as allergy related as I have been having sinus issues and my allergies have been horrible this year.  But after several days of allergy meds and drops there is no improvement.  I returned to the eye doc and he has scheduled me for a CT scan.  The vision has gotten slightly worse, but my color perception hasn't changed.  Any ideas?



ANSWER: Dear Sarah,



A good physician could also rule out some possibilities with clinical checks like sinusitis were the symptoms are similar.



The CT Scan could be to diagnose this instead of guesswork.



It won't hurt to do the check.



The vision since it shares similar nerve supply also gets affected in sinusitis.



Hope this helps,

Best,

Dr Shroff



---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------



QUESTION: Okay I had the CT scan done and all is clear, even the sinuses.  The eye doc also has mentioned to me that the pressure in my eyes was elevated the last time I was in 20 mmHG, where it usually is 14-15mmHG.  Any more ideas?  The vision problem and pain in the eye is still the same.


Answer
Dear Sarah,



If the eye pressure is high...then there are some steps which need to be done:



1. Determine why? as if it stays elevated, then a condition called 'Glaucoma' needs to be diagnosed (it has some tests for this).

2. The elevated pressure needs to be controlled with medication.

3. Also make sure that the pressure is actually elevated (true) by doing the pachymetry or cornealss measurements.



You can e mail any eye report on dranand@lasikindia.in



If you want to learn more about Glaucoma please visit www.shroffeye.org



Regards,

Dr Shroff