Saturday, March 6, 2010

Eye prescription accuracy

Question
In June 2008, my eye prescription:

O.D. SPH-1.25, CYL-0.50, AXIS 090

O.S. SPH-1.50, CYL-O.25, AXIS 100



At the end of 2008, my eye prescription from another office:

O.D. SPH-2.00, CYL+1.00, AXIS 180

O.S. SPH-1.75, CYL+0.25, AXIS 180



Now in Sept 2009, my eye prescription from a new office:

O.D. SPH-2.25, CYL+0.75, AXIS 170

O.S. SPH-2.25, CYL+0.50, AXIS 05



I am 47 with type 2 diabetes. I moved 2 states since last yr, that's why I had three eye doctors. The eye doctors through 3 eye exams all said that no problem from diabetic. Could this mean some problem with my eye vision (distance) or just testing variation? If eye vision issue, what could cause it? I have no distance vision change through the last 20 years. I don't really feel much difference when I wear these 3 pair of glasses.



Appreciated your help!




Answer
Dear Pearl,



The changes are acceptable.

In a person's late forties and fifties the number turns more positive and changes can happen in spherical and cylindrical powers.



The eye is a fluid filled ball and any changes in the optics or shape can change the number.





Just so long as with the current powers you are reading 6/6 for distance and N6 for near, the powers cannot be wrong.



Hope this helps,

Best,



Dr Shroff

www.shroffeye.org