Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hard spot on eyeball

Question
I have a very small, hard spot on my right eyeball. It showed up as a softer spot about a week ago, and has gradually hardened. It doesn't hurt really, but it does scratch the inside of my eyelid which causes my eye to itch badly and sting somewhat. The spot is just above my lower eyelid when I have my eyes open normally and is just to the lower right of my iris.



I have tried eye drops but they pretty much only make it itch more. My eye will get red when the itching is bad and will go back to normal when the itching subsides. I've searched this topic a lot and I'm not sure if this is a cyst or sty. It is very definitely attached to my eyeball, not my eyelid. It's also clear if that helps any... It's a very small spot no larger than the tip of a dull pencil. Thank you for any info you can provide.


Answer
Hi Shauna,

look at Google Images and search the terms pinguecula, conjunctival cyst, nerve loop of Axenfeld.  It may be a less common lesion. It's not a stye b/c that's on the lid.  It may be a cyst because it's clear but on the eye those are usually soft and bubble-like.  You will probably need to see an eye doctor to have it diagnosed as it probably needs to be seen with the biomicroscope we use in the office also called a 'slit lamp.'  Hope that helps,

Mitch Axelrod,OD