Thursday, March 4, 2010

why does my perscription keep changing?

Question
I have been wearing reading glasses for three years.  Prior to that, I?ve never had any eye issues.  About four weeks ago I noticed that my reading glasses were no longer working.  I had an exam and ordered the new glasses.  These were computer glasses.  When I tried them on for the first time, everything was blurry, so I had another examination.  To my surprise and my doctor's, my script changed drastically.  He wrote a script for progressive bifocals that also had correction for astigmatism.  I wore these for two weeks as prescribed before returning to the doctor complaining of the same blurriness.  He checked my eyes today and again my script has changed.  I am to return for tests next week where he'll dilate my eyes and retest.  Why does he get different results every time he tests me?  Should I see another doctor?


Answer
Dear Tracy,



Always better to do the eye check with dilation and a full eye examination.



Get the complete eye check done and lets see what comes out of that. Do not invest in an expensive pair of glasses until sure bout the prescription.



The doctor may want to look inside the eye for factors like ageing changes in lens and retina. Then prescribe whats best suited.



Let me know after this check is done. Ask for your exact prescription and also the visual acuity (i.e if you are reading 20/20 or 20/40 etc).



Hope this helps,

Best,

Dr Shroff

www.shroffeye.org