Tuesday, March 2, 2010

contact prescription differences

Question
I had my annual eye exam yesterday and the doctor said my prescription changed just slightly...from -3.50 to -3.25 in my right eye..  the left stayed the same.  I also wear contacts but can only wear the Acuvue Oasis for about 4 hours before I start getting headaches.  I was given an new type of lens called Optix with a -3.5 strength to try to see if I can wear them longer.  My question is that could the difference of -3.5 to -3.25 be causing the headaches instead of the brand of contacts? Or is this change truly insignificant?   Thank you for any clarification you can offer...


Answer
Hi Jamie,

You don't say how old you are and age makes a difference. Usually if not too old a .25 too strong/weak lens won't cause a headache.  It may be an imbalance between the eyes such that one is is over or under corrected as compared to the other eye or something else. Brand of contact shouldn't matter unless there is a comfort issue your brain is interpreting as a headache.  

Best to discuss with your doctor.

Hope that helps,

Mitch Axelrod,OD