Saturday, March 6, 2010

possible bruised eye

Question
Two nights ago, I fell and busted my lip and mustve hit my eye too because the next day my eye felt irritated, like watery and scratchy. I went to eye doc and he didn't see anything. Said to keep drops to wet it. Today it hurts like a bruise when I'm in the light. Is this serious?  Its the weekend and he is closed. Should I go to ER?


Answer
Dear Shannon,



This is called photophobia.

One cause could be that there is a corneal abrasion (but should have been noticed by the eye doctor, but if moissed, this can cause severe pain and local irritation.



What to do in the interim period?



1. Keep eyes closed and rested as much as you can

2. Use lubricating eye drops often

3. Take an anti inflammatory tablet or pain killer

4. Cold local compresses with eyelids closed may soothen eye



However, the faster the medicated eye drops are started the faster you will heal.



So, makes sense to visit an emergency clinic if in pain.



Hope this helps,

Best,

Dr Shroff

www.shroffeye.org