Thursday, March 4, 2010

Increased IOP after ICL

Question
Hi,I am 23 yrs old.I recently and had Visian ICL implant in both my Eyes as i was not suitable for LASIK due to High Myopia.After the surgery the Pressure in my Right Eye was 20 and my Left Eye was 25.The doctor said it is nothing to worry about as i didn't experience any change in my vision and has prescribed Timolast 0.5% twice daily for Two weeks.Will this bring my pressure down and am i under a risk for Glaucoma?And should i be using the medication throughout my life?


Answer
Dear Saranya,



The doctor is right, ICL can tend to (in the first few eeks) increase the eye pressure. This may be reduced with the eye drops prescribed, in some a simple laser procedure is also needed.



But it is temporary and should settle. It does not mean that you will have 'glaucoma'



However, recommend that you visit the doctor regularly.



Best,

Dr Anand Shroff,

www.shroffeye.org