Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Contact lens axis availability

Question
Hi



My current contact lens prescription has an axis of 80 in one eye and 90 in the other.  My glasses prescription is 77.5 and 85.  



I'm looking to change my lens type from fortnightly to dailies, so have been looking to see what is available here in the UK.  



It seems that the lenses that I could use only come in axis of 90.  I know with my current prescription that one eye is 2.5 out and the other is 5 degrees out (77.5 v 80 and 85 v 90), but would a difference of 12.5 be too much (ie. 77.5 v 90)?



I'd just like to know whether this is doable, before spending money on a formal optician consultation.



Many thanks in advance,



Simon


Answer
Dear Simon,



yes, a slight change in axis can affect your clarity of vision.



Best would be to consult the perosn who has prescribed you the glasses and ask them for the lens precsription.



usually lens prescription for first timers requires a trail and fitting to know which suits you best.



It is best not to sink money down the drain by any guesswork in this as lenses do not come cheap and you also cannot take a chance with your eyes!





Hope this hels,

Best,



dr anand Shroff

www.shroffeye.org