Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Contact Lens Overwear

Question
Dear Dr. Shroff,



I am 27 years old, got my first pair of glasses (for myopia) when I was 6, and have worn primarily contact lenses (Acuvue, then Acuvue Advance) since I was about 12.



I was experiencing mild headaches and nausea for several days (very akin to motion sickness), along with a feeling that something was "off" with my right eye (perhaps some blurriness and maybe a feeling of pressure?).  I went to an optometrist, who diagnosed me with contact lens overwear (the kind where you use two-week disposables for more than two weeks) and said I had swollen corneas, slightly worse on the right side.  He told me not to wear contacts for a week and scheduled me for a follow-up.



After two and a half days of just wearing glasses, the feeling of motion sickness has lessened slightly, but yesterday I started feeling actual pain in my eyes -- it feels sort of like eye strain, I suppose -- which means I'm still experiencing headaches.



My questions are:  (1) Is it possible for corneal edema due to contact lens overwear to cause a persistent feeling resembling motion sickness?  (The optometrist I saw didn't seem to think my symptoms matched up with his diagnosis.)  (2) I read that corneal edema can cause decreased corneal sensitivity.  Is it possible that the new eye pain is actually a good sign, as in, my corneas are regaining their normal sensitivity as they heal?



Thank you so much!

Jess


Answer
Dear Jess,



The description that you have sent is elaborate, however in absence of any eye examination or physical check up, please bear in mind that I can just help you as guidance.



The nerve syuppy of the eyes is often common with that around the head, and yes, one with prescription change, heavy eye usage and eye strain and even dry eyes can caus similar symptoms which are like a general dull headache, heavy head etc.



Motion sickness is a specific symptom and one may need to explore other reasons for this.



A good guide for you would be to continue the treatment and see if your symptoms phase out.



If not it may be worth your while to visit a general physician.



Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Dr Shroff



www.shroffeye.org